Friday 4 February 2011

Boys And Their Toys

The male child really needs to get the exhaust fixed on his car.  It sounds like a Harley Davidson motorbike at the best of times and when he puts his foot down on the accelerator at the end of the lane I can still hear it inside the house.  Apart from a new exhaust, it apparently requires a replacement driveshaft and a right front wing as well as a list of other bits as long as your arm.  Rather than taking the car to a garage to have it repaired, he has settled upon a plan to fix it himself (with a little help from a friend) and has spent the morning in a breaker’s yard looking for parts.  On his return, DH cheerfully pointed out that he won’t be able to repair the car on the drive as he needs a ramp to change an exhaust.  The male child has now retreated to his bedroom.

At least he has a car now… he had gone from April until December without wheels after writing my beautiful, limited edition Focus ‘Ebony’ off.  How did he do that, you ask?  Well, nobody is quite sure.  He came around a corner, skidded and hit a high kerb, then rebounded onto a bollard.  There was a lot of body damage, the airbags were deployed from the sides of the sleek leather seats and the driveshaft and suspension were wrecked.  It could have been repaired, but the insurance company deemed the work uneconomical. 

He maintains that he wasn’t speeding and that he simply skidded on ice (it was 5am), but I know that road well and am fully of the belief that he took the corner too fast and that if he had been driving slower the damage would not have been so catastrophic.

I was devastated… I loved that car.  However, I do now have a beautiful metallic green Peugeot convertible which I am equally in love with.  Needless to say, the male child is NOT insured to drive it.

My best friend calls it my mid-life crisis car.  She’s probably right!  All I need now is some decent weather so that I can take the ‘lid’ off and catch some sun… I spent last summer with the heating cranked up, wearing a coat, hat and gloves!

No comments:

Post a Comment