Friday 20 January 2012

Alright Already... I'm Blogging!!!

OK, OK, OK… I’m writing.  There’s so much to say I don’t even know where to start.  Life back in Essex is ticking over.  I’m back at work full-time in the job I left five years ago, sitting at my old desk with the same extension number and mostly the same old faces.  It’s like deja-vu… everything’s the same, yet subtly different.  There’s no less red tape, no fewer hurdles to clear and still as many hoops to jump through before you can actually achieve anything.  Money’s tighter and management are slightly more obstructive than previously, but rumour has it that will be changing as of next week when someone new takes over.  If the rumours are true, I’ll be very happy as I know the new manager (I worked with him in a previous life).  He won’t tolerate bullsh1t and he’s hard but fair.  I’m looking forward to working with him again.

Life is still hectic, running around after YD with all of her clubs and activities.  She’s had two auditions this week alone.  DH is still off of work but making excellent progress.  He’s doing an adequate job as ‘house husband’, although cooking unsupervised is still risky as he tends to get distracted and wander off, leaving food under the grill.  Good job we’ve got a smoke alarm and tolerant neighbours.  Luckily we have a dear friend who comes in and checks on him during the week.  She is my saving grace – she did so much to help us get the house straight before we moved back from Hexham – now she takes OH out shopping a couple of times a week but also does all of my ironing and cleans for me on a Friday.  It’s absolutely wonderful to come home to a clean and tidy house on a Friday evening, knowing I’ve no housework to do all weekend.  I don’t know what I’d do without her.  She’s an angel.

We finally have a plan for the refurbishment of the main upstairs bathroom.  Well, actually two plans, as I can’t measure the room accurately until the two/three layers of tiles have been removed from the walls.  It’s the tiniest bathroom known to man so millimetres are critical when it comes to the design.  I think I can fit in a vanity basin unit, L-shaped shower/bath, toilet with concealed cistern and a tall cupboard for towels etc.  However, if I’m 15mm out in my calculations, the tall cupboard has to go.  We’ve asked the lovely Tony if he can start at the end of next month but the job will take 3-4 weeks as the room will need completely replastering after the tiles are off and I can’t order the suite until I have the exact measurement of the room.  It’ll be lovely when it’s done though.  I promise to post pictures.

Overall we’ve settled in well although it feels as if the house will never be straight as OD has moved home and filled every available nook, cranny and square inch of floor space with the contents of her flat.  We now have an impressive 20 (yes 20) dining room chairs.  12 of them match my dining table and 8 don’t.  The 8 odd chairs need to leave the house.  Along with the supplementary dining room table, the second sofa bed, the third couch, the extra freezer, the duplicate microwave, additional double bed and mattress, bookcases, TV unit and various miscellaneous boxes of kitchen equipment.  The slow cooker can stay though as my one is big enough to feed a small village and her one does 6 nicely.  Oh and she can stay too!

2 comments:

  1. Yay Gini! Sooooo thrilled to see you back blogging! I've missed your posts! Really pleased that you are settling back into Essex life and what a lovely Friend you have! Lots of Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you back Gini, have really missed your wit and wisdom.
    Good luck with the bathroom, and well done on finding an angel.
    Joy x x

    ReplyDelete