Sunday 22 May 2011

For All My Crafting Friends

I was going to join my great friend Mama Syder with Silent Sunday, but I had such a fabulous, inspiring day yesterday that I just had to share.  I’d been invited by a friend to go to an exhibition of quilts at a nearby stately home.  The quilts were just AMAZING.  There were well over 100 on display, from small wall hangings to giant quilts that would swamp a super-kingsize bed!  They were made in every colour you can imagine and using a multitude of different techniques.  There were also patchwork teddies, bags and items of clothing.

There was one section of the exhibition that really caught my eye – ‘Project Linus’.  Project Linus is a volunteer non-profit organisation, named after the ‘Peanuts’ character who never went anywhere without his blanket.  They aim to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatised, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, home-made, blankets and quilts.  Project Linus originated in America, and started in the UK in March 2000.  By the end of June 2010, Project Linus UK had delivered an incredible one hundred and twenty thousand plus blankets across the UK.  Volunteers make blankets and quilts for all ages from neo-natal to teens are provided free to families with need.  This is their weblink which is broken right now (they are fixing it as I write so please keep checking!):  www.projectlinusuk.org.uk or you can email Lyn for more information.  Apparently there are around 70 regional coordinators throughout the UK who collect and distribute the quilts.  This is the American weblink where you can also find lots of information as well as free patterns and ideas: www.projectlinus.org

I’ve made patchwork and done some quilting before, but only small things.  I used to make patchwork hats for my girls when they were small (in the 1990s) which were so popular I used to sell them for pin money.  But I have been inspired by the beautiful quilts in this exhibition and will definitely be having a go when I have a little more time and I am absolutely going to be making something for Project Linus.

Before I left, I bought patterns to make two different ‘wholecloth’ hand-quilted cushions as starters.  Next thing on my shopping list is a quilting foot for my sewing machine as we have been assured that it is possible to make a bed-size quilt in a day with a machine!   My friend and I finished the afternoon with a civilised cup of tea in the cafĂ© before a leisurely drive home.  We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. 

These are just a few of the wonderful things we saw…

This hand-made Baltimore quilt was made by a 70 year old lady for her 50th wedding anniversary.
 
Gorgeous patchwork teddies.

Four Seasons: a machine quilted wall hanging
This chasuble and robe were made by the ladies of the congregation for a lady vicar in Australia

This Christmas quilt was made by different members of the same family each making one square.


     
Top, Quit for a Child: Bottom, Sutton Ho Quilt



5 comments:

  1. I totally adore quilting and soooooo wish I could have come.
    Project Linus Is a great idea I did offer to be there agent in Essex but they had one. Think I'll join you and make a quilt. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention Hun. I was going to say I wonder if my Aunt Jill had spotted your post but she has commented so that answers that, lol...She is a brilliant patchworker! Project Linus sounds great...I'll check their website out xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. the link still isn't working, so do you happen to know if project linus take crocheted blankets? I love making these, I've always got at least one, and often two, on the go, and it would be great to donate to such a worthy cause.
    joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy, as far as I know they do, but Lyn suggests contacting your local coordinator as each area has different wants/needs - use the link above to get her email address and she'll put you in touch with the appropriate person.

    Thank you all so much for reading and joining in xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..it's so unique and artistic. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete