Wednesday 25 May 2011

Take That

I never liked Take That.  I was too old to be into ‘boy bands’ by the time they were created and they certainly didn’t sing anything I wanted to listen to.  Even the most ardent fans must concede that when you hear their original early recordings now, they just weren’t that good. 

I remember my next door neighbour knocking on my door in floods of tears the day that Robbie left.  Naturally I made her a cup of tea and sympathised, but I’m not sure that I even knew who he was then.  I don’t have any recollection of Take That disbanding at all.

Even I have to admit though that Robbie has churned out a fair few decent tracks during his solo career.  In my period of ‘singleness’ between husbands I may have even danced to a fair few of them.  However, I was only barely aware that Take That had reformed, thanks to the Morrison’s advert and their singing the theme tune to the film, ‘Stardust’, on Jonathan Ross sometime in 2008.

However, I was absolutely blown away by a televised recording of their live concert ‘The Circus’ when it was shown.  I instantly rushed out and bought the CD and kept the recording on Sky+.  Consequently, having now memorised every word to every track, I now admit to being a fan.  Even so, I wasn’t over-excited by the fact that Robbie has re-joined the band... it felt a bit like 'jumping on the band-wagon' (pardon the pun) to me.

Now the tickets to their forthcoming concerts were announced just in time for my husband to buy some for my birthday last year.  However, despite heaping on the hints, he managed to miss buying any, instead presenting me with a Take That DVD for Christmas.  Needless to say I was absolutely gutted.

It seems as if everyone I know is going, friends, colleagues and sister-in-laws.  I was lamenting my loss to one of my work mates last week (another person who is going) and she told me that another colleague was selling a couple of tickets and suggested that I contact her to see if she still had them.  No chance, I thought, but I emailed her with my details anyway.

Lo and behold, guess what’s just arrived in the post….?  2 tickets for Friday’s concert at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland!!!  I am overjoyed.  Somewhere, someone is smiling down on me.


1 comment:

  1. I was a HUGE Take That fan the first time around and even though I was in my late 20's I was gutted when they split. I'm not such a fan this time around...I'm not really sure why though, they just dont excite me like they used to. Jason Orange is still fit though, lol x

    ReplyDelete