Monday 4 July 2011

Magpie Monday


I rarely buy brand new clothes and when I do, they're almost always in the sales.  That's not to say that I don't dress, well... my wardrobe comprises mostly White Stuff, Boden, Phase Eight, Laura Ashley and so on.  But I do believe in recycling, reusing and not wasting clothing so I love browsing eBay and charity shops for little gems.  I also make sure that anything we don't wear any more gets recycled.  Anything in pristeen condition goes on eBay, things that are slightly worn go to the charity shops and anything that looks 'old' goes into the fabric recycling bin at the local recycling centre.


The nocturnal child has also discovered the Aladdin's caves that are charity shops.  She has found that her allowance goes a lot further if she thrifts and she gets the vintage look she craves, for a fraction of the price of buying new.  She has also recently discovered vinyl.  I have a fairly substantial collection from the days before CDs and she has been buying up every record she finds in the charity shops in town.  Apparently the Relate shop is the best for vinyl.  Whilst she is in bargain heaven, it has proved rather expensive for me as I have had to invest in a USB record player for her to actually play all of these records!


5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I also never buy new (or if I do its down to 70% off in the sales). I love the challenge and the happy feeling of finding something gorgeous that gets commented on .

    I love your selection of skirts.

    I'm loving that your daughter is into buying vinyl! What goes around comes around : ) xx

    http://thewhiteapproach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, am a real bargain hunter. I just get a thrill buying things that are greatly reduced, I especially love buying household vintage items.
    Love your skirts, and that your passing the thrifting on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that your daughter's got into vinyl! That's fab.

    I love your skirts - particularly the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to only buy clothes when I need them, which is a handful of times a year!) but I haven't really brought many clothes from the charity shop, but after seeing your pretty skirts, I might give it a go! Cool that you can share your vinyls with your Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my clothes come from charity shops etc.
    Even got my wedding dress off ebay along with shoes etc.
    Lovely fabrics in those skirts.
    Vinyl! Great how the older stuff becomes fashionable all over again given time.
    Well done on the weight loss - very inspiring

    ReplyDelete