Monday 20 June 2011

Magpie Monday

Today's offering comprises two fabulous, original 1960s/1970s orange plastic lampshades.  Fantastically retro and right up my street.

I found this gorgeous flower-shaped cylindrical lampshade for about £8 (+P&P) on eBay just after I'd painted the kitchen.  It goes beautifully with the colour of the walls, clock and accessories as well as the Roman blinds I'd made, and hangs on one side of my kitchen.  I love it so much that I searched for months for another one for the other side of the kitchen, but without success.  It's probably for the best though as the other side of the kitchen has a much lower ceiling and I had secret visions of DH constantly banging his head as the shades are about 25cm long and hang quite low from the ceiling on a pendant.


 

However, I spotted this spherical shaped lampshade in a local charity shop and picked it up for a bargain £3.  I was absolutely delighted to get home and find that it is an exact match in both colour and pattern to the one I already had hanging - plus it also fits perfectly onto a fixed light fitting, thus avoiding the top of DH's head!



 What I like best about them is the way they diffuse the light in the evening and make the kitchen feel really warm and cosy with the orange glow they give off.  Definitely one of my favourite finds.  I just don't know where I can put them in the other house when we move...


Me and My Shadow

11 comments:

  1. Oh Gin...They are gorgeous! How lucky to find a matching one in the charity shop! Love them both! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was lucky. They're really rather fab. Thanks so much for the info re the dress - did you donate it to a Crystal Palace charity shop by any chance? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can just imagine the warm soft glow these give off in the evenings. Fab finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty! So lucky to find the matching pair!
    I am sure you will find the perfect spot in your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Lakota, ours was a particularly interesting shade of green ans it went to the Age UK shop in Hexham last week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are lovely...I think they are better for not matching in shape, but the same colour...adds to the look I think. Hope you find somewhere else for them in the new house!
    gidders1 theanamumdiary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finds, and so unusual - really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love orange, one of my most fave colours, I love light and I love kitchens so I love these altogether
    My try is over at http://celebratingmums.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're a great match, same but different! I love orange/brown for a kitchen colour scheme, it's fabulously retro but also very warm and cosy as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what love finds and very unusual too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds. I'm always on the lookout for something to replace our awful Ikea light shades.

    ReplyDelete