Monday 27 June 2011

Monumental Decision

I’ve spent the past three years studying part-time and have just successfully completed my post-compulsory teaching qualification.  I really enjoy teaching.  I have been in post in Northumberland for two years and am currently teach sociology but moving to Essex means having to find a new job so I will either have to teach in a college or secondary school or re-train. 

Knowing Essex and having had three teenagers myself I have no burning desire to be verbally abused and possibly even stabbed while teaching in a high school so I have decided to go back to university and do a primary teaching degree so that I can be bitten and vomited on by small children instead.  As we leave Hexham behind and begin a new chapter in our lives, I am in the best possible position to go back and study full-time to become a school teacher.  Yes, admittedly I am applying a bit late in the day, but according to the university websites there are still spaces on some teaching courses and as long as I get my application in before the end of the month, I could be offered a place for this September.  

I have guided many students through the UCAS and student finance application process, but I had absolutely no idea how complicated and time consuming it was until I had to do it myself.  I must have spent at least six hours over the weekend finding certificates, writing statements, speaking to potential referees and filling in online forms.  If I never see another drop-down box it will be too soon.  I am having to send documentary evidence of possessing children, proof of my husband’s income and outgoings via bank statements and my marriage certificate.  Why they need my marriage certificate I will never understand.  Perhaps to assess my endurance and stress levels?

All of this needs to be with the appropriate institutions by 30th June otherwise I will have to wait for the bun-fight that is ‘clearing’.  I have everything ready to go this end, I am just waiting for an online reference from my last tutor and for my friend to complete a form confirming that I am who I say I am before I can press the button, post the evidence and send the applications off (so no pressure if you’re reading this - lol). 

I have a bubble of excitement in my chest that has dissolved the feeling of dread I have had in my stomach over the house debacle.   Finally I have something positive to look forward to.  A monumental decision yes, but I think a very positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment