Tuesday 4 January 2011

The Beginning

I have pondered long and hard about whether to write a blog... particularly since we moved 350 miles north from Essex to Northumberland, but I was never too sure whether or not I would keep it up - and more importantly, who would bother to read it!  However, after being inspired by a couple of my friends, I have decided to take the plunge and share the banalities of my day to day existance and my most intimate thoughts. 

I am an overweight married mum of four children, who range in age from 21 to a delightful 7.  My oldest daughter has fled the nest and we're desperately trying to get rid of the next oldest, but to no avail.  He is in the process of joining the army (much to my private horror) but failed the fitness test and hasn't bothered to train and re-take it yet.  The next daughter is at college studying art and design, but mostly wastes her life sleeping and arguing with anyone who actually has the front to speak to her.  I've only seen her once since New Year's Eve as she creeps around the house after dark, eating only the good things she finds in the fridge and refusing point blank to participate in family life unless its on her terms.  The youngest daughter is the original all-singing, all-acting, all-dancing kid and I have spent much of this year struggling with my conscience over how much she should be allowed to work and the need for her to attend school regularly. 

I work part-time teaching an access to university course but my true love is crafting... be it drawing, painting, interior design, sewing, embroidery, knitting or crochet... I love it.  A couple of friends and I started a 'Stitch and Bitch' group last year and we thoroughly enjoy it.  We plan to try some new crafts this year, rather than sticking exclusively to what we already know.

I weighed 8st 1lb on my 30th birthday, but for a number of reasons was a fraction under 16st by the time I was 40.  I hated being the 'fat mummy' in the school yard but I just couldn't find the motivation to lose weight.  But in the summer, when I realised that the new (bigger) clothes I had bought the year before were already too small, I decided to join Slimming World and have now lost two and a half stone.  I feel much better in myself but still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment