Wednesday 26 January 2011

Sunday Dinner's Sorted then!

I've been laid up with 'flu' the past couple of days... aches, pains, shivers and fever.  Quite frankly, I feel like death warmed up.  I slept for almost 24 hours non-stop and I do feel slightly better today.  I have had some quite vivid dreams whilst in a state of fever... none more so that this morning:

I was on holiday, somewhere warm and sunny.  It must be a cottage in the countryside as I am awakened, slowly from my slumber, by the sound of a cockerel calling his morning salute, "cock-a-doodle-do!"  I can feel the warm sun streaming through the curtains onto me and as I open my eyes, there are a million dust-fairies dancing in the sunbeams.  I can hear the chickens, cows and sheep discussing their daily plans amongst themselves.  The cockerel keeps crowing, a little louder.  And again.  And again.

And I suddenly wake up because I can actually hear a cockerel - in my back garden!  Where the heck did that come from?  

We bought three beautiful Lavender Araucana 'growers' (teenage chicks) last summer.  We noticed pretty much straight away that one was a little smaller than the other two, but figured that she was either a bantam or the 'runt'.   Over the winter, the size difference has become more apparent and on closer inspection, there are now some quite obvious physical differences.  Not only do we have a cockerel, but we have two!  Fortunately they are only just reaching maturity and haven't started fighting yet, but when they do, it's going to get ugly!  

We can't keep cockerels under the terms of our lease, so they absolutely have to go.  Immediately, before the neighbours complain.  That's Sunday dinner sorted then!




2 comments:

  1. That would explain the lack of eggs lol

    Hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a cockerel but think my neighbours would kill me, lol! I'll stick with my hens xxx

    ReplyDelete