Wednesday 5 January 2011

An Encouraging Start!

I have been completely overwhelmed by the number of kind, supportive and encouraging messages and emails I have received about my blog!  I had no idea that so many of my friends would read it.   

Thank you all xxx

Well, after a ropey start, today did get better.  The central heating engineer changed some bits on the ancient boiler in the hope that it lasts another year, although looking at it close up I fear that any major spare parts may be obsolete if it does break down.  To my surprise, the landlord didn't comment on the fact that we've painted the kitchen bright paprika orange (see above left), nor on the state of it, and has even agreed to get somebody in to clear the gutters before we have another 10,000 starlings nesting around the edge of the roof again this year. 

Thankfully he didn't ask to go upstairs or appear notice that we've ripped down all of the terrible 1980s pelmets and curtains that were in the place.  Maybe he was too shocked about the kitchen.  When we asked if we could decorate before we signed the lease, he had agreed, but I had sort of indicated that we were into natural, pastel colours... which was true at the time.  We were leasing through the same Estate Agent that we'd used to find our first Hexham house and she had told him how beautifully we had kept and decorated the farmhouse.  However, once I'd really got the feel of this house and realised how cold, drab and grey it is, I decided it needed pepping up a bit so our bedroom is magenta and deep purple, the upstairs bathroom is lilac and sea green (sounds odd but it really works), and the children's rooms are 'Barbie' pink, orange and battleship grey respectively.  We will, of course paint everything white again before we leave, if he asks us to!

This evening was also the first session of the new term for the Hexham Orpheus Choir.  They've changed the start time from 7:30pm to 7pm which clashes with School Governing Body meetings and could prove tricky with babysitters, despite them all 'living in' - but only time will tell.  We are singing Haydn’s “Mass in D Minor”, otherwise known as the “Nelson Mass” (or "Missa in Augustiis”) and Durufle’s “Requiem”.  I’ve never sung either before but my friend is going to lend me the CD so that I can start to learn them both.  I’ve always teased her for her taste in music (exclusively choral/classical) but it’s surely come in handy now and never again will I besmirch her taste.  OK, that’s not true, I will, but I shall do it more respectfully in future!

On a more personal note, week 27 of the diet is going well, I am 'food optimising' successfully and the scales are moving in the right direction.  I go to Slimming World on a Monday morning (before I go into school to clean out the school hens with the 'Coop Troup' KS2 hen-clubbers, spend the afternoon my little one's classroom and then do textiles club with the year 4s) so I'll give a professionally measured weight loss update then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment