Sunday 9 January 2011

Lifestyle Changes?

The behaviour and general demeanour of the older children living in the house is not, by any means satisfactory.  However, after trying (and failing) to improve things for a long time now, I have recently resigned myself to their shortcomings and learned to accept the things I cannot change, safe in the knowledge that they will eventually move out and my life will once again regain a measure of calm equilibrium, free from conflict and discord (until YD gets to the same age).

Now that I have come to this epiphany, a strange and slightly disconcerting thing has happened.  Shortly after we arrived home from church this morning the phone rang.  It was the Oldest Daughter (OD).  She chatted for a few minutes and then asked to speak to the nocturnal child.  Strange, I thought, as OD usually chats for hours on the telephone.  It transpired that the phone call was the result of an inexplicable email sent from the nocturnal child to OD stating that she has decided upon a lifestyle change.  

I have noticed that over the past few days, the nocturnal child has, very unusually, been engaging in conversation.  She has also been doing her chores without being asked and with good grace.  When questioned on this 'out-of-character' behaviour, she stated that she is 'a new person' and has committed to getting up every day rather than staying in bed, being nice to everyone and helping out around the house.  She has been spending 'quality time' with YD voluntarily and even called a truce on the open hostilities between her and DH by spontaneously hugging him.  

To top it all off, the male child was up before lunchtime, peeled all of the veg for dinner and then announced that he is getting up in the morning and going to the job centre to look for a full-time job, before going out at 6pm to do an extra shift at the pub.

All of these statements were made with straight faces and without sarcasm.  Nobody has asked for a loan/advance or any other type of reward, financial or otherwise.  

I'm in shock.

I now have a huge bruise on my leg from where I had to pinch myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming.  Let's just see what happens this week....

2 comments:

  1. Bliss...Enjoy it while it Lasts! Wish mine would see the Light, lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless, this never happened to me!

    ReplyDelete